Health Tip: Taking a Trip When You Have Diabetes
Suggestions for travel
(HealthDay News) -- Diabetes doesn't have to keep you from traveling, but you still need some extra preparation before you begin your trip.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions to help you plan before you leave:
- Make sure your diabetes is well-controlled. Before you leave for a long trip, a visit with your doctor to make sure you're healthy, and to get the immunizations you need, is a good idea.
- Pack extra medication, syringes and other supplies.
- Take a letter from your doctor that describes exactly what supplies you need, a list of your medications, and any allergies you have.
- Always wear your bracelet or necklace that identifies you as having diabetes.
- If traveling to a foreign country, learn how to say key phrases in the native tongue, such as "I have diabetes" and how to ask for sugar or orange juice.
Copyright © 2009 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.