Choose one of our special categories to view or subscribe
Health Tip: Help Prevent Foot and Ankle Injuries
Use the proper footwear
(HealthDay News) -- The feet and ankles, supporting the weight of the rest of your body, are prime targets for painful injuries. But many can be prevented.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help prevent injuries of the foot or ankle:
- Wear shoes designed for your activity.
- When you're on rough or uneven ground, wear hiking boots or shoes.
- Throw out sports shoes that aren't worn evenly.
- If wearing steel-toe shoes, make sure the toe box is wide enough to be comfortable.
- Wear shoes with hard tops when you are using a lawn mower or other yard equipment.
- Always wear shoes when walking on paved surfaces.
- Avoid slippery floors.
- Don't walk around in the dark.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.