Choose one of our special categories to view or subscribe
Health Tip: Recognize Early Signs of Autism
Including no babbling or pointing by age 1
(HealthDay News) -- Symptoms of autism can be difficult to recognize in very young children, especially in mild cases or in instances when a child has other mental or physical conditions.
The U.S. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke mentions these possible early symptoms of autism:
- No pointing or babbling by age 1, or the absence of saying single words by age 16 months.
- No response to calling the child's name.
- Lack of early social or language skills.
- No eye contact with others.
- Obsessive organizing or lining up of objects.
- Not smiling.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.