Choose one of our special categories to view or subscribe
Health Tip: When Gardening Triggers Back Pain
Try warming up first
(HealthDay News) -- Gardening is a great form of exercise, but it can also leave you with a painful backache.
The American Council on Exercise suggests how to garden without hurting yourself:
- Use correct posture and form.
- Warm up before you garden with a 10-minute walk.
- Make sure all of your movements are smooth and steady.
- Keep your abdominal muscles taut.
- Lift with your legs (never your back).
- Don't twist your back while digging.
- Breathe regularly. Exhale when you lift, and inhale as you lower a heavy load.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.