Health Tip: Take a Walk!
But make sure you don't overdo it
(HealthDay News) -- Walking is a great form of exercise and amusement. But the American Council on Exercise warns new walkers to start slowly and not to overdo it.
Here are the council's recommendations:
- Start out with a short walk of about five minutes. Then gradually increase your time and distance.
- Don't walk too quickly; stick to a comfortable pace.
- Practice proper posture, with your head up and shoulders relaxed.
- Allow your arms to swing naturally.
- Breathe deeply, and slow down if you can't catch your breath.
- Don't move so vigorously that you can't talk while you're walking.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.