Health Tip: Protect Kids From Lead Exposure

Watch for chipping paint if your home was built before 1978

Topics: Kids: Misc Parenting Poisons

(HealthDay News) -- Ingestion of lead -- notably from older buildings that used lead-based paint -- can cause permanent neurological and developmental problems in children.

While lead exposure is dangerous for anyone, children's developing brains and nervous system are particularly vulnerable to the harmful effects of lead exposure.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says here's how parents can help protect children:

  • If your home was built before 1978, ask your local health department about testing the dust and paint in your home for lead.
  • Take care when doing home renovation projects with children around. Work with a contractor who has completed an federally approved training program.
  • If you see paint chips or dust from paint, regularly clean these areas with a wet cloth.
  • Don't let your child play with any recalled toys or toy jewelry.

Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.