Choose one of our special categories to view or subscribe
Health Tip: If You've Broken a Toe
Visit your doctor, pronto
(HealthDay News) -- Almost a quarter of your body's bones are in your feet. So it makes sense that the feet and toes have their fair share of broken bones.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for treating a broken toe:
- If you suspect a fracture, see your doctor as soon as possible.
- Try to keep weight off the foot.
- Refrain from the activity that caused the injury.
- Apply ice, wrapped in a towel and applied for a maximum of 20 minutes at a time, to the fracture to help reduce swelling.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Wear wide shoes with stiff soles.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.