Zumba Spices Up Fitness!Last updated: Jul 30, 2012
Looking for something new to spice up your fitness routine?
What is Zumba?
Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness program for people of all ages. Since its advent in 2011, Zumba has quickly become one of the world's most popular dance-fitness programs. More than 12 million people in 125 countries are dancing their way to fitness with Zumba!
Zumba is an effective way to get and stay fit because it combines interval and resistance training to:
- Burn calories (a person weighing150 lbs can burn an average 536 calories per hour with Zumba)
- Improve cardiovascular fitness
- Strengthen and tone muscles
- Improve balance
- Enhance mobility, agility, and flexibility
Like most other forms of exercise, Zumba also is a great way to relieve stress and increase your concentration.
Zumba includes dance steps from Salsa, Mambo, Flamenco, Merengue, Rumba, and Hip Hop, among others. But even if you've never heard of or done steps from these dances, you can still have fun and get fit with Zumba. Beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes help ensure you will find a Zumba class that's right for you.
Zumba classes include:
- Zumba Fitness, which uses exotic rhythms for a high-energy workout designed to tone your arms, legs, and thighs and relieve stress
- Zumba Gold targets exercisers who want a moderate workout. Popular among active older adults as well as people who are new to fitness, Zumba Gold helps improve aerobic fitness and strengthen muscles, especially in the lower body. It focuses on overall strength, flexibility, balance, and agility
- Zumba Toning is designed for advanced Zumba dancers. It focuses on cardiovascular fitness and body sculpting with light weight-toning sticks that can tighten your arms, thighs, and abdominal muscles
- Aqua Zumba is a water-based dance workout for all ages and levels. It is excellent for cardiovascular conditioning as well as overall toning. Aqua Zumba is ideal for exercisers who want a low-impact way to stay fit
- Zumbatomic is a fun, kid-friendly workout designed especially for children ages 4 through12. It helps boost metabolism and improve coordination, while also increasing your child's ability to concentrate
- Circuit Zumba is perfect for exercisers of all fitness levels who have little time but plenty of motivation to stay fit. In only 30 minutes, Circuit Zumba uses strength exercises at timed intervals to boost metabolism and build strength
- Zumba Gold Toning includes light resistance training designed to increase bone density and improve mobility, posture, and coordination. It's perfect for beginners and older adults who want a good cardiovascular workout with a new twist!
- Zumba Sentao uses chair-based choreography for balance and coordination to focus on core muscles of the abdomen and back and increase cardiovascular fitness, enhance muscle strength, define muscles, and build endurance
Where to find Zumba
Zumba is available at many gyms and health clubs as well as community and senior recreation centers. If you prefer to exercise in the privacy of your home, there are many good Zumba DVDs to choose from.
What You Need for Zumba
All you need for most Zumba classes is your sneakers, lightweight comfortable clothing that allows you to move freely, and water to stay hydrated. If you take a Aqua Zumba, you'll need a bathing suit, towel, and water shoes to grip the bottom of the pool for stability. Zumba Sentao and Zumba Toning classes provide chairs and toning sticks.
If you're looking for a fun way to dance yourself into shape this summer, try Zumba to get started back with exercise or add interest to your exercise routine!