Healthy and Delicious Ratatouille
Last updated: Feb 15, 2012
By Joy Pierce Mathews for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Enjoy this hearty, low-fat, fiber-filled vegetarian dish!
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 to 3 peppers (use all colors, and mix hot and sweet), thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 onions, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of stewed tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes cut up
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- 2 cloves minced garlic 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Heat oil.
- Saute onion until it's tender.
- Add zucchini, peppers, and eggplant and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add herbs and tomatoes.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- For extra protein, you can add a can of drained, rinsed white or red kidney beans.
- Ratatouille is delicious served over whole grain rice.
|Serving Size 1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10g|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nutrition information per 1-cup serving of whole grain rice (in addition to the ratatouille):
1.6 grams of fat
2 milligrams of sodium
46 grams of carbohydrate
4.5 grams of protein