Lemon-Garlic Chicken and Shrimp Shish Kabobs
Last updated: Jul 01, 2017
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Shish kabobs are a simple and delicious way to enjoy a wide variety of nutrient-dense vegetables as part of backyard BBQ. Soak wooden skewers (available at most supermarkets) in water for at least half an hour before cooking, so that they don't burn, or use metal skewers.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme1
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ pound (16 to 20 count) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ½ pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together garlic, thyme, parsley, ¼ cup olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Toss the shrimp and chicken in the mixture until evenly coated.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Wash and cut vegetables into 2” pieces.
- Place in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir in remaining ¼ cup of olive oil to coat all vegetables.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Alternate threading chicken, shrimp and vegetables on soaked wood or metal shish kabob skewers.
- Grill shish kabobs over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning 1/4 rotation every 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 24g|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|