The Summit Medical Group model of care focuses on well-coordinated, comprehensive, and convenient care that puts patients first. To ensure that you receive the highest standard of care, the Group wishes to help you:
- Take a role in your health care
- Ask questions
- Understand your condition or disease
- Understand and decide about your treatment options
Our Doctor Discussion Guide can make it easier for you to ask important questions when you visit your doctor and if you must have a test or procedure. Download the Guide and follow these simple steps:
1) Place the Doctor Discussion Guide in a convenient location such as your refrigerator before your appointment. Having it handy will make it easier to make notes on it as you think of things you’d like to ask your doctor.
2) Write down all questions, concerns, or side effects that you are having.
3) Use the section at the bottom to write additional questions or make notes about recommendations your doctor has about your health, medications, and follow-up appointments.
4) Take all your medication bottles to your appointment or list them with the proper dosing below.
Don’t feel embarrassed to ask your doctor about any concerns you have about your health. Remember that he or she can only provide the care you need if you are honest about your complete medical history, including your lifestyle habits such as smoking, your diet, emotional problems, alcohol and drug use, and not taking medications as prescribed.
If you’re scheduled to have a test or procedure, you should ask:
1) What is the purpose of the test I’m having?
2) What does it cost?
3) Does my insurance cover the cost of the test?
4) How is the test done?
5) Will the test hurt?
6) How accurate is the test?
7) Is this test the only way to find out what you need to know about my condition/health?
8) What are the benefits/risks of the test?
9) What must I do to prepare for the test?
10) How many times have you performed the test?
11) When will I get the results?
12) Who will discuss my test results with me?
13) What will the results tell you and me?
14) What are the next steps after this test?
Use this section to list any symptoms or other concerns you would like to discuss with your doctor.
Please click on any of the following links for a list of downloadable questions about:
- Tests or procedures
- Choosing a practitioner
- Choosing a health plan
- Choosing a hospital
- Long-term care