Delicious Warm Spinach Salad
This warm spinach salad with hot bacon dressing makes a delicious, light meal year 'round. For a heartier, protein-packed meal, you can top it with boiled, sliced eggs or broiled chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, or tofu!*
- 1 package of well-washed, fresh baby spinach (about 9 oz to 10 oz)
- ¼ cup minced sweet red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 thickly sliced or 6 thinly sliced bacon pieces
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (per 2 tablespoons bacon fat)
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of sugar or sugar substitute
- Well-washed, fresh, sliced mushrooms
- Sliced or diced sweet red pepper
- Place spinach and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Chop bacon and fry it until it's crisp. Drain and pat it dry on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- If you like a lightly dressed salad, leave ~2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan. If you want more dressing, use more fat and balance it with equal amounts of vinegar and slightly more sugar or sweetener.
- Sautée the onion in the bacon fat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic with the onion and cook for 15 to 30 seconds. Don't brown the garlic!
- Add vinegar, and scrape up the brown bits in the pan.
- Add salt, freshly ground pepper, and sugar (or sweetener) and stir to dissolve the mixture.
- Pour the hot dressing over the spinach.
- Toss the spinach until it's well coated. Allow it to sit for a few minutes so that the hot dressing wilts and tenderizes the leaves.
- Top with bacon bits.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.5g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
*When adding eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, or tofu, include the following measurements:
4-oz skinless chicken breast = 1 gram fat, 27 grams protein, 0 grams carbohydrate, 130 calories
4-oz roasted skinless turkey = 3 grams fat, 24 grams protein, 0 carbohydrates, 153 calories
3 grilled shrimp = 1 gram fat, 5.2 grams protein, 0 grams carbohydrate, 80 calories
3.5-oz fish fillet = 2 grams fat, 23 grams protein, 0 grams carbohydrate, 100 calories
3-oz tofu = 12 grams fat, 24 grams protein, 6 grams carbohydrate, 240 calories
1 egg = 4.5 grams fat, 6 grams protein, 1 gram carbohydrate, 70 calories