Glorious Garden Gazpacho
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Try this delicious chilled summer soup (a departure from traditional gazpacho) for a low-fat, low-calorie, fiber-filled light lunch or dinner that requires no cooking!
- 2 pounds of fresh, chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 peeled cucumbers
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large finely chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Fresh parsley for topping
- Tabasco or Frank’s Red Hot sauce (to taste)
- Remove ribs and seeds from the red and green peppers.
- Core the tomatoes.
- Chop all vegetables.
- Puree half the chopped vegetables and all the garlic in a food processor.
- Place pureed vegetables in a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining chopped vegetable chunks.
- Add vinegar, olive oil, and salt.
- Add Tabasco or Frank’s Red Hot sauce to taste.
- Stir entire mixture well.
- Chill thoroughly (this soup is best when marinated over night).
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve cold.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 11g|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Glorious Garden Gazpacho is ideal when served with a crusty, oven-warmed whole wheat French baguette!
If you are watching your salt, use a low-sodium salt substitute.