Healthy Rice Pilaf
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Try this quick, easy, whole grain, and colon-healthy alternative to high-sodium boxed rice mixes!
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of broken whole-wheat spaghetti pieces
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/3 cup of finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add pasta, garlic, and onion.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the onion and garlic start to brown.
- Add broth and rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 10 to 12 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley and let stand for 5 minutes.
|Serving Size 2/3 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You can add 1/4 cup of toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts for extra flavor and crunch. With nuts, your servings will yield 180 calories, 6 grams of fat, no cholesterol, 160 milligrams of sodium, 28 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein.