Parsnip Vegetable Soup
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Try this parsnip vegetable soup for a healthy start to 2014!
- 2 cups of sliced parsnips
- 2 cups of sliced potato
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup of sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1.2 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable stock
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes in a large pot.
- Add black pepper, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, ginger, and turmeric.
- Continue cooking over medium to low heat for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the spinach.
- Cover the mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add fresh spinach and continue simmering the soup for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Puree the mixture and serve it with fresh parsley leaves as a garnish.
- This recipe makes 4 servings.
|Serving Size 2 cups|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The parsnip vegetable soup is delicious when accompanied with a crusty, whole-grain bread, and a leafy green salad with sliced oranges in a light olive oil dressing.