Warm Quinoa Salad
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Try this delicious quinoa salad instead of pasta for a high-protein, fiber-filled side dish!
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and strained to remove the bitter shell
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring broth, rinsed quinoa, and 1 minced garlic clove to a boil in a saucepan.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook the mixture for 20 minutes until all the broth is absorbed.
- Brown almond slices in a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook together for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is fragrant and just beginning to brown.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and place it in a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the chopped arugula, cover, and let the mixture stand for 2 minutes until the arugula wilts slightly.
- Stir in the almonds, onions, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
|Serving Size 141 grams|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 190||Calories from Fat 70|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 8g|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Top your warm quinoa salad with fresh mint leaves or fresh parsley for visual appeal!