Eggs are an excellent protein source and combined with vegetables make a satisfying and healthy start to your day for breakfast, or a quick meal for any time of the day. Vary the vegetables based on your favorites or what you have on hand. An added bonus: it’s simple to increase the ingredients based on the number of people you’re serving.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ cup mushrooms
- ½ cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 4 eggs
- 2 T parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°
- Sauté onion in the olive oil in a broiler-proof pan for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the green beans and garlic to the pan and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, black pepper, oregano, and basil and simmer 5-10 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove pan from the heat.
- Stir the mushrooms into the vegetable mixture and carefully break the eggs on top, keeping the yolks whole and unbroken.
- Cover the pan and place into the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the eggs and put back into the oven for another 3-5 minutes. The meal is ready when the egg whites are cooked, the yolk is set but still slightly runny, and the cheese is melted.
|Serving Size 2 eggs|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 14g|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|