Date energy ball recipe
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Did you know that most energy bars contain added sugar? Make your own quick, delicious, high-energy snacks sweetened naturally with dates that you can take with you on the go in the car, enjoy for a post workout snack, or serve to your kids when they get home from school.
- 16 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup plain oats, either old-fashioned or steel-cut
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup peanut or almond butter
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place dates in a food processor and process until almost smooth, adding up to 3 tablespoons of water as needed to help blend.
- Add nut butter, cocoa powder, ground flaxseeds, cinnamon and vanilla extract to the food processor and pulse until all ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in the coconut and plain oats.
- Scoop mixture into 2-tablespoon balls, rolling with your hands.
- Place balls on a baking sheet.
- Cover and refrigerate.
|Serving Size 1 ball|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 3g|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|