Mediterranean-style potato salad
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
A fresh and healthy twist on potato salad traditionally made with mayonnaise, this recipe uses heart-healthy olive oil and a variety of colorful vegetables for a summertime picnic salad everyone will enjoy. Leaving the skins on the potatoes adds fiber and color.
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound green beans, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook potatoes in boiling water just until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, and add the cleaned green beans.
- Simmer until crisp/tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Put cooked green beans into a colander and run cold water over the beans to stop cooking.
- Transfer potatoes and green beans to a large bowl.
- Stir in onions and red bell pepper.
- Mix together oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper thoroughly with a fork.
- Stir dressing into the vegetables and then add the basil.
- Chill at least 4 hours and stir before serving to incorporate flavors.
|Serving Size 1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 7g|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|