Quinoa Tuna Salad Recipe
Last updated: Mar 01, 2018
The combination of tuna, a variety of vegetables, whole grain quinoa, chickpeas and tuna are a delicious way to follow recommendations to reduce many types of cancer and improve overall health. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), canned light tuna is lower in mercury than white, albacore, or yellow fin tuna. Adults can enjoy a 4-oz serving of light canned tuna 2-3 times per week and children over the age of 2 years one-to -wo 2-oz servings per week to avoid too much mercury while also gaining the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids in tuna.1,2
- Food and Drug Administration. Eating Fish: What Pregnant Women and Parents Should Know. https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm393070.htm updated January 2017. Accessed 2-22-18.
- United States Department of Agriculture. Agricultural Research Service. Matthew Picklo. Eat Fish! Which Fish? That Fish! Go Fish! https://www.ars.usda.gov/plains-area/gfnd/gfhnrc/docs/news-2013/eat-fish-which-fish-that-fish-go-fish/ last modified 8/13/2016. Accessed 2-22-18.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped cucumber (leave the peel on for more fiber)
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 12 oz canned light tuna packed in water
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water and strain thoroughly.
- Add quinoa and 2 cups water to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooling, make the dressing by placing the avocado, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, basil, cilantro, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Stir the vegetables, chickpeas and tuna into the quinoa.
- Add the dressing and stir to combine.
- Serve right away or cover and store in the refrigerator until serving.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 6.5g|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|