What makes our Breast Care Center special?
Our breast surgeons combine the most advanced imaging options, technical and surgical expertise, and state-of-the-art device technologies to deliver the highest standard of comprehensive support and surgical care for all stages of breast cancer.
- Our breast surgeons will see you within 48 hours of your initial phone call
- We offer minimally invasive biopsies with prompt lab results
- We have a board-certified breast surgeon and oncologist who are available at all times
- We offer rehabilitation services, including physical therapy, prosthesis referral, and lymphedema referral
- We provide adjuvant therapy, including chemotherapy, hormone therapy, and radiation therapy referral
- We have caring and compassionate physicians and staff
- Most of our services are located under one roof, including our onsite breast diagnostics
Summit Medical Group breast surgeons partner with a multidisciplinary team that includes surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, breast radiologists, plastic and reconstructive surgeons, pathologists, breast nurse navigators, imaging navigators, and counselors for nutrition, genetics, and cognitive therapy to help ensure your needs are met.
We understand that managing breast cancer can be overwhelming. For this reason, we offer outstanding Breast Health Nurse Navigation Services to help ensure you get the coordinated and timely access to surgical breast care you need to protect your health.
We also coordinate a wide range of helpful programs, including high-risk monitoring and counseling, survivor groups, lifestyle counseling, genetic testing and counseling, wellness and complementary medicine, medical research, and financial counseling.
Summit Medical Group patients in Northern New Jersey and the New York Metropolitan area also have access to enhanced cancer treatment, as part of our partnership with the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. This program, which provides medical oncology, infusion and diagnostic imaging, is already in place at Summit Medical Group’s flagship campus at 1 Diamond Hill Road in Berkeley Heights. It includes MD Anderson’s world-renowned treatment protocols, extensive clinical trials and cutting-edge research.
WHAT IS BREAST SURGERY?
Breast surgery includes all surgical procedures and surgical interventions to diagnose, treat, and remove benign (noncancerous) and malignant (cancerous) tumors of the breast, including:
- Fine-needle aspiration
- Core-needle biopsy
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Open biopsy (surgical biopsy)
- Sentinel lymph node mapping and biopsy
- Lymph node surgery
- Axillary lymph node dissection
- Wire-localized excisions
- Breast-conserving surgery
- Partial (segmental) mastectomy or quadrantectomy
- Simple mastectomy
- Modified radical mastectomy
- Radical mastectomy
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
If you have surgery for cancer of the breast, the procedure can be used to remove all cancer. To stage the tumor, our breast surgeons perform breast surgical procedures (sentinel lymph node biopsy) to determine whether cancer has spread (or metastasized) to the lymph nodes under the arm(s).
Breast surgery also can be used to restore the shape and size of the breast at the time of or after a mastectomy and address some symptoms of advanced cancer.
Summit Medical Group Breast Care Center
is one of few breast centers in the United States
and one of only two centers in New Jersey
designated a National Consortium of Breast Centers
Certified Quality Breast Center of Excellence.
The American College of Surgeons
National Accreditation Program
for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
fully accredits our center.