At Summit Medical Group, physician assistants (PAs) work closely with cardiologists to enhance patient care and increase patient satisfaction. As effective, versatile, licensed health care professionals who have had intensive training, PAs in the cardiology department:
- Take patient histories and perform physical examinations
- Diagnose and treat problems associated with the heart and cardiovascular system
- Order and administer tests and interpret results
- Coordinate patient care
- Provide education and counseling to patients about medication and healthy lifestyle changes
- Provide a communication link between families and physicians
- Write discharge summaries
PAs care for many of the same patients as physicians, although physicians typically handle more complicated medical cases. As an important part of the Summit Medical Group cardiology team, PAs never hesitate to consult with cardiologists, work with other providers, or refer patients to a physician when necessary.
Because PAs ensure that patients receive the personal attention they need, they significantly contribute to patient satisfaction. In addition, by providing individual patient care and counseling, PAs enable physicians to do research, focus on data from cardiac tests, and handle the most difficult cardiac cases and follow-up care.
Nurse practitioners (NPs) are licensed, registered nurses who have completed graduate training in nursing.
At Summit Medical Group Cardiology, NPs:
- Take patient histories
- Perform physical examinations
- Diagnose and manage acute and chronic illnesses
- Order tests and therapies, including physical therapy
- Promote preventive care and good health
- Counsel patients and their families
NPs are important members of the cardiology team. They work closely with physicians and PAs to provide timely, focused care for each patient.