If you must be admitted to a hospital for any reason, your medical team may enlist the services of a hospitalist doctor. While you are hospitalized, hospitalists work with your physicians to coordinate and improve the efficiency of your care and decrease the amount of time you stay in the hospital.
Is your need for a hospital stay winding down?
If you're transitioning to a skilled nursing facility, SMG can help.
Click here for more info.
A Summit Medical Group hospitalist is a medical doctor (MD) or doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) who has board certification in internal medicine. Providing valuable assistance for patients who are admitted to the emergency department, critical care unit, or hospital, a hospitalist physician is available 24 hours a day and communicates frequently with all physicians on your team. Hospitalists are familiar with all aspects of the hospital and its staff and can answer questions and address your or your family’s concerns.
Summit Medical Group employs full-time hospitalist physicians to coordinate care for Summit Medical Group patients and:
- Examine you
- Discuss your needs with your primary care physician
- Coordinate all examinations, tests, and treatments
- Share information about your condition with you and your primary care physician
- Send your primary care physician a summary of your hospital records and medications
- Arrange your follow-up care after you leave the hospital
- Prescribe the medicines you need when you leave the hospital
Summit Medical Group Provider Hospital Affiliations
An affiliated hospital is a hospital where a doctor can practice and admit patients. Many of our providers have multiple hospital affiliations. When choosing a provider, you may also want to learn which hospitals he or she is affiliated with. Each Summit Medical Group provider lists their hospital affiliations on the left-side panel of their website profile.
SMG-affiliated hospitals include:
- Hackensack University Medical Center
- HUMC Mountainside
- Morristown Medical Center
- Overlook Medical Center
- St. Barnabas Medical Center
- Valley Hospital