The Pediatric Rheumatology department at Summit Medical Group diagnoses and treats joint, musculoskeletal, autoimmune, and connective tissue disorders in children and adolescents under the age of 18. Our rheumatologists have expertise in the latest treatments for all rheumatologic conditions and can help with a wide range of rheumatologic disorders.
Conditions We Treat
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus)
- Juvenile dermatomyositis (inflammation of muscles and skin)
- Vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
- Anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome
- Lyme arthritis
- Post-infectious arthritis
- Acute rheumatic fever
- Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP)
- Periodic fever syndromes
- CNO (chronic nonbacterial osteomyelitis)
- Raynauds phenomenon
- Sjogrens syndrome
- Systemic sclerosis
- Localized scleroderma
- IBD related arthritis
Treatments and Services
Our pediatric rheumatologist works in close collaboration with the referring primary care pediatricians as well as any pediatric subspecialists who can help diagnose and treat a wide variety of illnesses.
Evaluation includes a thorough medical/symptom history and examination. If warranted, the workup may include blood work and/or imaging studies (e.g. Xray, MRI, ultrasound).
Treatment options may include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications and disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Therapeutic joint injection
- IV medications at SMG infusion suite
- Physical therapy (PT) and occupational therapy (PT) referrals
- Assistance with school accommodations
- Additional support and community resources
Why Choose Summit Medical Group
At Summit Medical Group, we understand the importance of individualized, collaborative care—especially when it comes to treating children. With quick and easy access to experts from many other medical specialties, our team is able to address the many physical, social, and emotional challenges that come with a disease that is present in the growing and changing body of a child.